DIY Pet Portrait Tips from Painted Paw Studio
1. Get a little guidance. I regularly teach a Paint Your Own Pet class that covers the basics – join me! Or, if you’re not in the Nashville area do a little Youtube search and watch painting tutorials before you get started.
2. Use the right supplies! Visit your local art supply store (Jerry’s Artorama is my Nashville favorite) and let them help you select the fundamental materials that will set you up for success.
3. Work from a good reference photo. A well-lit, high-resolution photo will yield noticeably better results than a poor-quality option.
4. Have patience with yourself. Think Malcolm Gladwell’s 10,000 hours approach; everything takes time to master!
5. Practice makes perfect 🙂 Don’t expect to be an expert right out of the gate. Just have fun!